Tuesday, April 3, 2012

THROUGH THE EYES OF A SOLDIER

I know this is supposed to be my blog, but I ran across this poem. Being a soldier at one time myself, it brought tears to my eyes upon reading it. I could sure identify with the character in the poem. The stress of combat does make one feel very old and weary. It didn't take long for me to remember back as a young man at arms the things I thought about when standing at the ready on hallowed ground where men before me had given their all. I think every soldier fantasizes that warriors who sacrificed it all might still stand at the ready and answer the bugle call. I dedicate this to every soldier who knew the next heavenly bugle might sound for them. All gave some but some gave all! GodSpeed you warriors!
See you next Blog,
Ted


An Old Soldier’s Prayer
Allen Russell

Evening Lord, pardon me for calling on you so late 
But, it’s Christmas Eve and I’m feeling mighty old 
Nearly everybody here as gone home to be with family and friends
I’m alone in this room; it’s just too quiet, and my feet are cold 

I was dreaming I was back at Fort Abraham Lincoln just now 
We were just a bunch of excited kids when we turned out that morning for muster 
Rumor said we were going to Montana, with the Seventh Cavalry
We’d be taking orders from our new commander, a Colonel, name o’ Custer 

We were proud and bold as we formed up and rode out of the gate 
Horses prancing, guidons flying, we were the mighty Seventh Cavalry
The tearful wives and sweethearts were lined up and waving
There was no need to worry, the Indian hadn’t been born that could stand in our way 

I read in your word, that pride goes before a fall
We didn’t know it then, but a hard lesson was about to be taught to us all 
It was the twenty-fifth of June when we arrived at Little Big Horn 
It wasn’t much of a river, but what great country, rolling hills and the grass was tall

We found the Indians in one big village 
It was a peaceful scene, almost like they were expecting us for supper 
We were supposed to wait for General Terry
But, the Colonel said no, they may try to escape 

The Colonel split the command, his plan to carry out 
I was sent upstream with Major Reno, Little Joe, and old Sergeant Tate 
We were ordered to circle around their camp, and hit ‘em from the south 
The rest went north with the General, and there they all met their fate 

Remembering the aftermath of that battle still makes me shiver
With the bloody afternoon finally over 
We lay in rifle pits that we dug on the ridge above the river 
I was thanking you Lord, for surviving the fight 

Many soldiers were wounded, and suffering from thirst 
Someone needed to crawl down to the river and get water 
Nobody seemed too anxious, so I volunteered to go first 
Courage didn’t figure into it, just something I had to do 

Back at Fort Lincoln they gave me the Congressional Medal 
For risking a trip to the river, and nursing my wounded friends 
It wasn’t anything special, Lord 
I just did what I knew you would have me do 

Well from Montana to here it’s been a long ride 
I’m holding my old bible all tattered and worn
It’s the only thing I have left that’s really mine
I’ve read it over and over and some of the pages are torn 

I suppose I’ve reached my last outpost
And I’m wondering when I’ll be going 
I swear sometimes late at night 
I can hear Gary Owen 

I’m the last survivor of the battle at Little Big Horn 
I miss my friends, and I’m ready to join them 
Lord, I’d give anything to see Montana some golden morn
I suppose a little plot at Arlington will have to do 

Lord, I always figured death would come for me on the battle field 
Through the years he wore many faces 
I pictured him on a coal black horse and me refusing to yield 
I planned to die for freedom, not wither away in this damn bed 

For seventy-five years I’ve faithfully stood my post 
Now I’m done and ready to be relieved. 
Stuck here in this place, I’m little more than a ghost 
Well good night Lord, I’m mighty tired, just gonna rest now 

Lord, suddenly, I’m feeling pretty good 
Shucks, I don’t feel so old 
I’m not quite sure what’s going on here 
This bright glorious morning, and I ain’t so cold 

It seems I’m well mounted on this brand new McClellan 
The blanket’s federal blue with a bright gold tuck 
This is a mighty fine horse, Lord 
He reminds me of old Buck 

I hope this is heaven, but looking around me here 
Seems more like rip-roaring Montana, under this boundless big sky 
I hear voices up ahead, and a bugle ringing clear 
Boots N’ Saddles, I swear, it’s been years 

Lord, I can’t believe my eyes
There stands the immortal Seventh Cavalry, proud and straight 
With your permission Sir, I’d like to take my place 
I had to fight a few more battles, before I could get passed the guard at the gate 

I’m grateful to you Lord for the good times and the battles we won 
Thank you for the army, and these chosen few 
It was a great life and I had a lot of fun
This here wild bunch is all the family I ever knew 

Now comes this glorious morning
Our regiment stands complete upon this hallowed hill 
I can smell the sweet grass, and I feel the lonesome wind 
Far off, I can see the Big Horn Mountains, shining there still 

The width and breadth of this great country 
Lord, it’s almost more than I can take in 
It doesn’t really matter if this is the Promised Land or just Montana 
I’m at peace Lord, because I’m finally home again 

Standing here, I feel strong and tall 
My aches and pains are gone 
Or they just seem too few to mention 
Stand still horse, you’re at attention 

Just one more thing, Lord, and I’ll let you go 
I’m much obliged to you, for this once and for all 
And for allowing me to answer
The last bugle call 

1 comment:

  1. What a touching poem! Thank you for sharing... and thank you for serving.......

    ReplyDelete

Depend Fully On Jesus

 https://info.truthforlife.org/private-worship-1?ecid=ACsprvts0k5VftayoMvIszLlZmJur8gvo_lfsYjM0mXix61w9WSYAQ_QiPX9R46CaoW8LXho-uf3&utm_c...